“Oh Veggie Burger, Oh Veggie Burger. . . ” To the tune of Oh Christmas Tree.
Have you ever had one of those culinary moments when you had no idea what to make for dinner and decided to Iron Chef-it? Well, I do all the time! I was dying for a veggie burger but the more I read about all the preservatives and chemicals in our frozen foods, I feel I need to move further and further away from my frozen favorites. Moderation people, moderation.
Sweet Chick Burgers
1 large sweet potato, cut into quarters
1 bulb of garlic, roasted
1 can chickpeas, drained
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup gluten-free flour
4 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed in 4 tablespoons cold water
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons diced onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cumin
2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
2/3 cup vegan sour cream or vegan plain yogurt
1 teaspoon maple syrup
extra salt and pepper for seasoning cream
1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
Caramelized onions, optional
4 gluten-free buns
1. To roast garlic, see this tutorial.
2. Pierce potato all over with a fork and place on a paper towel, setting in the microwave. Microwave for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for 5 minutes more. Remove, slice in half and let cool until you can scoop out the flesh.
3. In a large bowl, coarsely mash beans with a fork. Add in sweet potato and mash together, then add in onion, spices, salt and pepper, minced fresh garlic, flaxseed, and flour. Mix together until combined, then place bowl in the fridge for 15-20 minutes. This helps firm the mixture up.
4. While mixture is chilling, combine sour cream with roasted garlic cloves, maple syrup and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth then set aside until ready to use.
5. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Remove mixture from fridge and form into 4 equal patties, then place in the skillet once hot. Since the mixture can be wet and messy, do not move until they are fully cooked and golden on one side! This takes about 5-6 minutes. Then, add more oil if needed (this really helps cook them) and flip burgers very gently. Cook for another 5-6 minutes. Toast buns if desired.
6. Assemble by topping burgers with roasted garlic cream, cranberries, and green onions. I added caramelized onion after the picture was taken and it was AMAZING!