Super Bowl Sunday was always a day to eat and be loud in our household. My goal for 2013’s Super Bowl Sunday was to show you can eat delicious fresh snacks even on game day.
Kicking off the game with homemade nacho cheese dip and guacamole makes everyone feel like a winner. As much as I know I could eat the entire bag of chips, I find it much more pleasurable for my stomach to use a combination of chopped veggie intermixed with chips. That may I’m energized for the entire game.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
1 large red bell pepper (roasted)
1/4 cup water
1 cup raw cashews (soaked over night and rinsed well)
1 Tablespoon Tahini
3 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
1 T Raw Onion
1 Clove Garlic
2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
1 1/2 Teaspoons salt
Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until creamy.
Inspirational Eve’s Guacamole
1 large or 2 small Haas avocados seeded and peeled
1 roma tomato, cut in half
1 tbs onion
Juice from 1 lime or 1/2 of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 jalapeno pepper, seeded
1 tbs cilantro
1 clove garlic
Mix all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Makes 1 cup.
Snacks are great but eventually you will need some substance. Especially if you throw the football like we do. Tonight I decided on Pulled Porto sandwiches with pesto and steamed carrots and fresh cucumber slices.
This was quite a treat for me as I do not eat bread very often and I cannot remember the last time I ate white bread. It was tasty!
Pulled Porto Sandwiches
2 portobello mushrooms, rinsed and slices into 1/2 inch strips
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tbs Braggs Liquid Aminos
Pistachio Pesto see recipe below
1/4 cup yellow onion, sliced into rings
2-4 tbs Vegenaise
Lettuce or spinach
1. For pulled porto marinade-Combine mushrooms with olive oil and liquid aminos in a storage container. Leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
2. Heat a nonstick medium skillet on high heat Add mushrooms and 1 tbs of marinade liquid. Discard the rest of the marinade. Saute for 3 minutes. Add onions and and cook 2 more minutes. Take skillet off heat.
4. To assemble sandwiches- On 1 side of bun spread 1-2 tbs Vegenaise. On other bun spread a generous amount of pistachio pesto. Scoop half of portobello mixed on the bottom bun and cover with lettuce. Place other bun on top and enjoy!
I came up with this recipe because I did not have basil but I did have cilantro and the closest thing I had to pine nuts were pistachios.
1 bunch cilantro, rinsed and stems trimmed off
1/4 cup pistachios, shelled
2 tbs nutritional yeast
1 tbs lemon juice
2 garlic cloves
1/2-1 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1. In a food processor or blender combine all ingredients up to ground pepper and blend until smooth. You may need to scrap the sides down a few times to ensure everything is incorporated.
2. With food processor or blender on, slowly pour in the olive oil. Let the processor blend for about a minute.